Connect with us

Infrastructure

Gold Coast Theme Park Gets Green Light from Beijing

Published

on

Gold Coast Theme Park Gets Green Light from Beijing
A proposed $600 million theme park for the Gold Coast by Chinese entertainment company Songcheng Performance Development has been given the seal of approval by the Chinese government.

Songcheng submitted a development application to the Gold Coast City Council last July for the theme park to be built on former farmland at Nerang.

Australian Legends World would include a number of animal exhibits, an indoor ski field, a 3,500-seat theatre and an adventure park. Plans also include accommodation and a high-rise tower.

The Chinese government has listed the proposed development at number 11 out of 40 projects around the world affiliated with the country’s “One Belt, One Road” investment plan, assessed as top priorities for the Ministry of Culture.

The One Belt, One Road initiative is a foreign policy and economic strategy of the Peoples Republic of China emphasising numerous key areas of cooperation. Australia is not a signatory to the broad initiative, but individual projects are allowed to sign up regardless.

Gold Coast Beaches

The listing of the proposed Australian Legends World park signals that the proposal abides by the Chinese government’s new investment rules.

Beijing has imposed restrictions across the board in an effort to curb capital outflows from the country amid concern about the leveraging of certain companies like Dalian Wanda that have been forced to sell assets to maintain liquidity levels.

“We’re delighted the Chinese Government has included this project on their Belt and Road list,” Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate told the Gold Coast Bulletin.

“Our city’s relationship with China is built on trust as well as council’s ability to minimise red tape, while still ensuring all environmental and development guidelines are adhered to. The project will still require all relevant approvals.”

Last month, nearly 400 objections had been lodged against the plan following the public comment period as part of the application process.

Concerns include the impact of the park on the residential amenity, increased density from high-rises and an expected increase in traffic.

The Gold Coast Council will vote on whether the project will proceed later this year.

Songcheng has a market capitalisation of US$4.7 billion and operates theme parks and resorts, as well as performance art shows. The Gold Coast project would be the company’s first outside of China.

Originally Published: theurbandeveloper.com

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Infrastructure

Watch: Route of Gold Coast’s new ‘M2’ motorway revealed [video]

Published

on

Watch Route of Gold Coast’s new ‘M2’ motorway revealed [video]

THE route of the Gold Coast’s new ‘M2’ motorway has been locked in, with the final stretch now officially mapped out.

The State Government on Sunday announced the final route of the six-lane road had been gazetted, allowing it to be protected from new development.

It will run for 42km between Nerang and Logan and is tipped to take around 60,000 cars off the congested M1.

Dubbed the Coomera Connector, the new road will be located east of the M1 and, starting from Nerang-Broadbeach Road in Nerang, will travel through Helensvale, Coomera, Pimpama, Ormeau, Stapylton and Eagleby before connecting with the Logan and Pacific Motorway interchanges.

Watch Route of Gold Coast’s new M2 motorway revealed

Watch Route of Gold Coast’s new ‘M2’ motorway revealed

Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said the new road was essential to alleviating congestion on the M1 and would provide an important north-to-south transport link for north Gold Coast communities.

“With more than 180,000 vehicles travelling on the M1 each day and strong population growth on the northern Gold Coast, we need to plan for the region’s future transport demands,” Mr Bailey said.

Scroll down to watch the video! 

“We want people to spend more time at home with their family and friends and less time in traffic, and that means responsibly planning now for growing communities between Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

“Now, the entire 45 kilometre Coomera Connector corridor – including the final northern stretch to the Logan Motorway – has been officially gazetted as a future state-controlled road.”

The Nerang to Coomera section was gazetted in March 2016 and the Coomera to Stapylton section in May 2017.

The corridor has been identified in various public planning documents, such as published street directories, regional transport plans, planning studies and City of Gold Coast planning schemes since the 1990s.

Formerly known as the intra-regional transport corridor, the new road will provide more choices for local traffic and additional crossings of the Logan, Coomera and Nerang Rivers.

It’s also expected to cut travel time between the Coast and the Capital by reducing the number of local trips on the M1.

Watch Route of Gold Coast’s new ‘M2 motorway revealed

Mr Bailey said there was still plenty of work to do to bring the project to life.

‘‘The community will continue to be involved in future stages of planning for the corridor,” he said.

“Opportunities for consultation will be both in person at a series of information sessions and online.

“Community members will be able to learn more about the project and provide feedback using digital engagement tools such as collaborative mapping.’’

Scroll down to watch the video!

The Palaszczuk Government has committed $5 million to undertake transport planning studies for the corridor.

Residents who live or have properties along the gazetted route have already been notified, while community information sessions are still being planned along the length of the corridor to gain community input into the short-listed options.

The community will also be given a chance to provide feedback about the project online.

A master plan will then be developed to determine the preferred option for the corridor and help determine how delivery of the project could be staged.

The Department of Transport and Main Roads says a timeline for construction has not yet been identified and will depend on the future traffic growth in the surrounding area and availability of funding.

The Department says it is also liaising with property owners regarding land sales and development applications and early acquisition of properties “may occur in some hardship circumstances”.

Planning continues to progress for the alignment.

For more information click here.

Continue Reading

Infrastructure

First Look: 140 Hectares Transformed in Gold Coast ‘Ocean Park’ Plan

Published

on

First Look 140 Hectares Transformed in Gold Coast ‘Ocean Park’ Plan

Seven precincts have been earmarked as part of a multimillion-dollar plan to revitalise The Spit located on the northern end of Main Beach on the Gold Coast.

The state government has released the latest draft masterplan for the “Ocean Park” that would transform almost 140 hectares of The Spit’s 201 hectares, and would include light rail stations, super-yacht berths, and a proposal for an ocean cruise ship terminal.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said plans for The Spit’s open space areas would see it more than eight times the size of Brisbane’s South Bank parklands and 12 times the size of the public spaces in Syndey’s Barangaroo.

“And the Gold Coast Ocean Park has something none of them have – the Broadwater and the surf.”

First Look 140 Hectares Transformed in Gold Coast Ocean Park Plan

Queenslanders provided more than 21,100 pieces of feedback to have their say on the future of The Spit.

Parts of the park are earmarked for sensitive commercial development with a three-story height restriction in place.

This zone centres on Fisherman’s Wharf and Sea World.

The Spit would be divided into seven precincts.

First Look 140 Hectares Transformed in Gold Coast ‘

First Look 140 Hectares Transformed in Gold Coast ‘Ocean Park’

Proposals for Phillip park precinct envisage two alternative outcomes — the first addressing the park as open space; while the second outlines the prospect of a cruise ship terminal located in the northern section of Philip Park.

The master plan will not decide whether the potential cruise ship terminal will proceed, stating that “the decision will be subject to a separate process of approval that CoGC may pursue once the master plan has been released”.

First Look 140 Hectares Transformed Gold Coast ‘Ocean Park’ Plan

New features include 4000sq m set aside for a restored shore rainforest, a light rail extension to Sea World, a super-yacht marina, improved cycle, and walkways through the dunes.

A special curlew habitat will be developed, as well as an underwater sculpture garden for divers to explore.

And the blueprint even includes a “selfie tower” for tourists and locals alike to capture the best shots of the Gold Coast’s skyline.

First Look 140 Hectares Transformed in Gold Coast Ocean Park’ Plan

Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate said he will be “urging council to install the necessary infrastructure in partnership with the local major water users” to supply recycled water in line with the plan to create and maintain a Central Park-style green open space.

The blueprint is being released for further discussion before a final plan is released in the coming months.

Consultation is open until the end of March.

 

 

Source: theurbandeveloper.com

Continue Reading

Infrastructure

‘Beyond Capacity’: Gold Coast Airport Expansion Moves Ahead

Published

on

‘Beyond Capacity’ Gold Coast Airport Expansion Moves Ahead

Gold Coast Airport is set for the next stage of its $370 million expansion, with the development of aerobridges linking to a new three-level terminal set to move forward in coming months.

Building giant Lendlease, who was the stage one contractor, has been appointed to deliver the construction of the 30,000sq m building, four new aerobridges and new retail areas as part of the southern terminal expansion.

The contract value is worth about $200 million, according to industry sources.

The terminal redevelopment, dubbed Project Lift, will increase the airport’s capacity and more than double the floor area of the existing terminal.

Lendlease’s appointment comes as construction commenced on the new Rydges-branded airport hotel in early February. The $50 million, 192-room hotel was approved in September.

‘Beyond Capacity’ Gold Coast Airport Expansion Moves

Queensland Airports chief executive Chris Mills said that half a billion dollars would be invested in the precinct under the expansion plan.

“The existing terminal is currently operating beyond capacity,” Mills said.

“This expansion will not only help us meet demand, it will create an entry point to the city, befitting the nation’s leading tourism region.

More than 6 million passengers pass through the airport each year, which is set to double by 2037.

Lendlease Building chief executive Dale Connor said the expansion would employ 1500 subcontractors over the life of the project.

“During peak construction times, approximately 250 workers will be required onsite at any one time.”

The new terminal development is expected to open to passengers in 2021.

 

Source: theurbandeveloper.com

Continue Reading

Make your Super Work

Positive Cashflow Property

duplex designs, dual occupancy homes

Property Investment Advice

Trending